Age of Nominee: 33
Nomination-Category: Health / Medical
Address: Mumbai Maharashtra 410206
Ms Romita Ghosh is the Founder-CEO of two healthcare start-ups, Admirus and MedSamaan.
Romita’s tryst with healthcare started in the autumn of 1998 when as a young teenager she was diagnosed with Stage-2 Cancer. After two years of painful chemotherapy, hair loss and permanent hyperthyroidism, she miraculously entered remission. Since then, Romita has been sanguine about helping those who had been less fortunate than her in the battle with cancer. Her first step was to dive headlong into cancer-research, but soon she realized that she could do more for Patients through the corporate sector than through research, and switched to join Biocon.
After a brief stint at Biocon, she co-founded two startups post-qualifying Technology Entrepreneurship Course from Stanford but healthcare was where her heart lay. In 2011, she founded her first healthcare-startup Admirus to introduce path-breaking healthcare technologies to the country from overseas Innovators. Initially, she was a one-woman army, wearing multiple hats of Accountant, Cold Calller, Operations head and CEO. After eight years of hard work, Romita has today made Admirus a reputed brand in Medical -Devices Consultancy with a pan-India presence.
MedSamaan, Romita’s fourth venture, is an award-winning startup that is making Medical Devices Available, Accessible and Affordable to end-Users across India, with special focus on Tier II/ III cities and underserved regions.
Empowered with her decade -long experience, understanding and knowledge about the healthcare ecosystem from various standpoints (as a cancer patient, healthcare provider, researcher and marketer) Romita founded MedSamaan in 2017 to create long-lasting Social Impact in rural and semi-urban India by bridging the growing healthcare divide created by physical, social and financial standing.
Using a fully optimised Supply Chain and robust Business processes, MedSamaan is enabling Healthcare Providers to purchase Low-Cost-Assured-Quality Products, which translates into reduced Waiting Time and lower Treatment and Transit Costs to Patients – giving them a Chance at Good Health, and Hope to their families.
MedSamaan’s impact can be measured in :
Arrest of increasing trend of poor patients in hinterland India having to sell off/mortgage property to seek tertiary treatment in metros.
Tackling of the rampant gender-bias prevalent in medicare accessibility by educating rural womenfolk.
Development of two-wheeler-based feeder-ambulance so that hilly/rough terrain no longer deters patients from reaching hospitals on time.
Sustained efforts to facilitate mass-screening of cervical-cancer among rural women
In the last six months, 200 Patients and 25 Hospitals have been served and 100 lives impacted. MedSamaan’s Vision is to impact 30 million lives within the next ten years.
Romita’s future plan is two-fold:
(a) Facilitate the Government’s last-mile Connectivity with Needy Patients by creating Knowledge-Centers-cum-Sales hubs which would stock life-saving medical devices
(b) Partner 1000 Manufacturers by 2020 to achieve our Goal of establishing a direct-to-Customer all-encompassing supply-chain without middlemen to help create environments in our villages and towns that are conducive to sustaining Health.
Besides juggling the roles of Founder-CEO, Panelist and Motivational Speaker, Romita is also an accomplished photographer of international repute, having been featured by CNN and awarded by the INPA.
1. Awarded Startup Entrepreneur of the Year Award at the eMERG 2018 Awards
2. Awarded Best Startup by the Government of Himachal Pradesh in the Annual Himachal Pradesh Awards in March 2018
3. Awarded Hindustan Times Woman of the Year Award 2018 (Death Defying Category) by Shree Yogi Adityanath, CM of UP
4. Awarded the Inspiring Woman Entrepreneur of the Year award at the Orange Flower Awards 2017
5. Featured by Entrepreneur Magazine on International Women’s Day
6. Selected by the US Embassy from among the Top 26 Women Entrepreneurs of India as part of WE CAN Program
7. Featured by Cherie Blair Foundation on their website and Facebook page for her work through MedSamaan.
8. One of the seven startups selected by NITI Aayog from 15K Startups to participate in the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at Hyderabad in 2017
9. Invited as Panelist by Women’s Web on forum to inspire Women to pursue their passion
10. Invited as Panelist by Dept of Biotechnology, Government of India for conclave themed Women Entrepreneurs Contributing towards transforming India at the 4th India International Science Festival
11. Invited by Facebook to join the #She Leads Tech program.
12. Awarded DIPP Registration by Startup India
13. MedSamaan won Runners-Up position at the Rural Hack2Health Hackathon
14. Invited by Israel Embassy to deliver Introductory Lecture on Indian Healthcare Sector to visiting Israeli trade delegation